Sunday, May 5, 2013

Heartstrings

   My heartstrings pull me every which way.  They are wrapped around the beating vessel, knotted and twisted, tangled like a plate of spaghetti.  Some are worn thin; they look like they could break at any moment.  Others are ribbons, the pretty, frivilous kind.  Still more are thick chains, binding my heart, leaving no escape.
   They are pulled by unseen forces, tugging, tugging, tugging at my heart.  I want to compromise, find a way to please everyone, but I have to pick only one.  My heart is being destroyed, waiting for me to choose.  Each time I start I to go one way I am overcome with doubt, turning around and ending up back where I started.  The strings keep pulling, dragging, fighting to win.
   Will one overcome?  Strings will be broken, connections will be severed.  Will my heart be broken, torn by the forces pulling it beyond its limit?  Where will it end?  Will the struggle and choas become peace?  Am I stuck in this place of pain and confusion?
    Jesus, win this tug-of-war.

0 heartfelt responses: